The town that gave birth to the city of Maceio appeared in a sugar-mill around 1609 – the date of its foundation. The town began to grow economically from the 17th century on, when the cultivation of sugarcane began to thrive. Until now, this agriculture has enormous importance for the state and is considered the second largest producer of the country.
At the beginning of the 19th century, in 1815, Maceio no longer was a simple village and received the title of town. With the financial prosperity, the government decided to move the Alagoas state capital to Maceió, which previously was in the town called Marechal Deodoro.
In this way, in 1839 Maceió received the title of capital and consequently was considered a municipality. It is when the structure of the city began to change.
1611 – Diogo Soares, mayor-mor of “Santa Maria Madalena da Lagoa do Sul” –Saint Mary Magdelaine of the South Lake – granted legally to Manuel Antonio Duro a “sesmaria” an 800 fathom allotment (uncultivated land) which were included in the land of Maceio.
1815 – The town of Maceió was created by a
royal charter on December 5 and installed on January, 1817.
1817 – Occurred the political emancipation of Maceio and the creation of the Province of Alagoas.
1818 – The first governor of the Capitania, Sebastião de Melo e Póvoas, received a request from the Senator-aspas-s House to elect Maceió the seat of government, due to its topographical situation and its wonderful anchorage.
1819 – On January 30th , it was installed the Real Board of Finance. In the same year it was created the parish of “Nossa Senhora dos Prazeres”, Our Lady of the Pleasures, based in Maceió.
1839 – The general government ordered the transfer of the Treasury to Maceió. On December 3rd , it was presented to the Legislative Assembly a proposal to change the state capital to Maceió. On 9th of the same month and year it became a city and seat of government of the province. On 16th the president Agostinho da Silva Neves inaugurated the new capital.
1860 – Probable date of construction of The Cemetery Our Lady of Mercy.
19th Century – Probable date of construction of Saint Joseph Cemetery.
20th Century – It started a process of accelerated tourism in the region of Maceió.
O Cemitério Municipal São José está afastado do centro da cidade, conforme era costume de época. Se encontra na Av. Siqueira Campos n.1625. Ele segue o modelo de planta padrão composto por quadras alinhadas e seqüenciadas. Percebe-se que ele passou por ampliações no transcorrer dos anos.
It is a popular cemetery where most people are anonymous Brazilian citizens, born in Maceió: John, Mary, Joseph, Vitalina, and so on.
This conventional and secularized cemetery has the peculiarity of adopting some models of tombs that are represented between the blocks. Most of them contain high plots. The funerary niches take place in most part of the cemetery.
BORGES, Maria Elizia. Funerary art in Brazil (1880-1930).Italian Marble Carver Craft in Ribeirão Preto. Belo Horizonte: C/ Arte, 2002.
VA LLADARES, C. do Prado. Art and Society in the Brazilian Cemeteries. Rio de Janeiro, Federal Cultural Council – National Press Department. 1972.
Coordenação e Pesquisa: Maria Elizia Borges.
Criação do site: Catu Design, 2008.
Fotografia: Maria Elizia Borges, 2001.
Manutenção do site e pesquisadora: Adriana M. Gianvechio Carvalho – bolsista CNPq.