The village that gave birth to the city of Maceió arouse in a sugar-mill around 1609 – date of its founding. The town began to grow economically from the 17th century on, when the cultivation of sugar cane began to thrive. Until now that agriculture has enormous importance for the state and is considered the second largest producer of the country.
At the beginning of the19th century, in 1815, Maceió got the title of “vila” – town.
Due to the financial prosperity the government decided to elect Maceió the capital of the state of Alagoas, which was previously the town called Marechal Deodoro.
In 1839 Maceió got the title of capital at the same time it was considered a town. At this point a lot of changes began to happen to the structure of the town.
1611 – Diogo Soares, mor-mayor of “Santa Maria Madalena da Lagoa do Sul” -(Saint Mary Magdelaine of the South Lake) granted to Manuel Antonio Duro, a “sesmaria” (800 fathom of uncultivated land) on which were included the lands of Maceió.
1815 – The town of Maceio was created by a royal charter on December 5th and was settled on January 1st, 1817.
1817 – Occured the political emancipation of Maceio and the creation of the Province of Alagoas.
1818 – The first governor of the Capitania, Sebastião de Melo e Póvoas, got a request from the Senator´s House to elect Maceió the seat of the government, as for the advantages of its topographical situation and its wonderful anchorage.
1819 – On January 30, it is installed the Real Board of Finance. In the same year it was established in Maceió the parish of Our Lady of Pleasures.
1839 – The General Government decided to transfer the Treasury to Maceio. On December 3rd, a proposal to change the capital of the state to Maceio was presented to the Legislative Assembly. On December 9th it was made a city and seat of government of the province. On 16th, the president Agostinho da Silva Neves inaugurated the new capital.
1860 – Probable date of construction of the Cemetery Our Lady of Mercy.
Century 20th – It started an accelerated tourism process in the region of Maceió.
Our Lady of Mercy Cemetery is located in the old region of Maceió.
Here are buried members of the traditional alagoan families such as the Tavares Bastos, Paiva, Mendonça, Quintella, Guimaraes, Mello, Gatto and many others.
Our Lady of Mercy Cemetery is the oldest in the city, its internal space adopts a series of wrought iron and vases according to the neoclassical Portuguese landscape architecture taste. Currently it is almost full and the remains of the traditional alagoan families are buried in existing mausoleums or in the few ones
that still exist.
BORGES, Maria Eliza. Funerary Art in Brazil (1890 – 1930). Italian Marble Carver Craft in Ribeirão Preto. Belo Horizonte: C/ Arte, 2002.
VALLADARES, C. do Prado. Art and Society in the Brazilian Cemeteries. Rio de Janeiro, Federal Cultural Council – National Press Department. 1972. 2v.
Project coordination & Research: Maria Elizia Borges.
Website Creation: Catu Design, 2008.
Photography: Maria Elizia Borges e César Mulati
Researcher: Adriana M. Gianvechio Carvalho – CNPq.
Translation: Iara Maria Sanches, 2008.
Added in 2008.