Jardinópolis was originated from a small village, county of Batatais, near Rio Pardo. Its first name was Ilha Grande but in 1896 it was changed to Jardinópolis, a sincere tribute to the republican precursor Antonio Silva Jardim.
Dr. João Muniz Sapucaia was the first mayor and also responsible for the Municipal Cemetery building which was ironically opened by himself as he died soon after it was concluded.
Its population descends from Italian, Syrian-Lebanese, Japanese, Portuguese and Spanish immigrants. Most of them were settled in the city to work primarily in the coffee industry and after in the sugar-cane growing. Many others settled in the region by working in commercial establishments. Unfortunately its economic development has been quite slow for it is very close to larger cities.
1859 – The settlers Joaquim José D-aspas-Araújo and his wife Dona Teodora de Jesus, Antônio Pereira da Silva and his wife Dona Maria Florência de Jesus, donated, respectively, 30 and 18 acres of land that belonged to Ilha Grande farm, for the construction of a chapel inside their property in praise of Our Lady Aparecida. That is the way the village was born being named after the farm – Ilha Grande.
1886 – Installation of the Railway Station Visconde de Paranayba (Viscount of Paranayba).
1890-1930 – Development of the coffee growing.
1892 – The village became a County by State Law number 115, on October 1st 1892, in the city of Batatais. Construction of the first cemetery of Jardinópolis, today chapel of Santa Luzia. The land was donated by José Pereira de Oliveira.
1894 – Installation of the Railway Sarandy linking Jardinópolis to Franca.
1896 – Foi modificado o nome do Distrito de Ilha Grande para Jardinópolis, por Lei Estadual número 484, de 24 de dezembro.
1898 – Jardinópolis was raised to the stature of municipality by State Law number 544, on July 27th, and was dismembered from Batatais.
1899 – On February 18th it was created the district by the State Law number 5285.
1965 – Its settlement occurred on August 22nd; up to this date all the legal affairs were dealt with in Batatais.
1911 – Jardinópolis was nominated to be the Seat of the District.
1916 – Installation of the Mogiana
railway junction, providing lines to Jaguar (state of Minas Gerais) and Igarapava (state of São Paulo).
1918 – It was created the district of Sarandy which was incorporated to Jardinópolis under the law number 1632, on December 27th.
1919 – Construction of the Rural Cemetery in the district of Sarandy, today Jurucê, whose land belonged to Mr. Minto and Brothers. It was built by Luís Vicentini and Antônio Vicentini.
1933 – According to the administrative division Jardinópolis consists of 2 Districts: Jardinópolis and Sarandy.
1936-1937 –According to the territorial division, State Law Decree number 9073 , March 31st , 1938, Jardinópolis belongs legally to the district of Batatais.
1960 – In the territorial division the municipality is consisted of 2 districts-Jardinópolis and Jurucê.
1990 – It is considered the Land of Mango.
The Municipal Cemetery of Jardinópolis is located on the Muniz Sapucaia Ave. It is a small cemetery composed of aligned and sequenced blocks according to the standard plan model established in the Brazilian cemeteries during the 19th century, whose landscape is composed of different kinds of trees spread out over the streets, blocks and boulevards.
Here are buried coffee barons, politicians, successful traders, housemaids, children, youngsters, people who contributed to the growth of the city as the families: Tostes, Leite de Assis, Saquy and Pereira Lima.
In this conventional secularized cemetery, built in the 19th century, there are very few tombs made of Carrara marble, so usual at that time. This is mostly due to the need of improving the space, remake the graves using new materials such as black and brown granite.
BORGES, Maria Elizia<. Funerary Art in Brazil (1880-1930). Italian Marble Carver Craft in Ribeirão Preto. Belo Horizonte: C/ Arte, 2002.
OLIVEIRA, Leila Miria de. Sarandy-Jurucê: origins. Ribeirão Preto. Villimpress, 2000.
VALLADARES, C. do Prado. Art and Society in the Brazilian Cemeteries. Rio de Janeiro, Federal Council of Culture – National Press Department. 1972. 2v.
Coordination and Research: M Elizia Borges.
Website Creation: Catu Design, 2008.
Website updating and researcher: Adriana M. Gianvechio Carvalho.
Photography: Maria Elizia Borges, 2005; César Mulati, 2000.
Translation: Iara Maria Sanches.
Cemetery is a cultural institution of the Western society. The preservation of its heritage is one way to legitimize it, as well as artistics and cultural activities carried on in situ.